A Spot is a little unit that communicates with satellites to record your position and send it to others. Better still, depending on the model you buy, you can use it to be tracked live online, giving your family and friends peace of mind while you are flying.
Main functions include
- SOS / 911: Hit this button and the unit sends an instant message with your coordinates to the nearest appropriate rescue service telling them you need help
- Help: Notifies your personal contacts that you need assistance
- Check-in / OK: Lets you check-in with your friends who receive a pre-programmed message and your coordinates
- Custom Message: Lets you send a custom message to your friends, along with your location
- Spot Adventures: Share your adventures through social media at www.spotadventures.com
- Track Progress: Your friends can follow you in Google Maps
Like your mobile phone, you need a service plan to get the most from your Spot. A variety of plans exist, from basic to full expedition-style services. These service plans are available from Spot directly once you have bought your unit.